Wow. You had no idea your job search would be such hard work, did you?
You’ve got some interviews scheduled, you’ve picked up your power suit from the dry cleaners, and you’re all set to go. You just know your interview performance will be sufficient to get you one or more job offers because, well, just because.
But what if it isn’t? If you take a step back and really think about it, you probably realize that you are a little bit nervous. Maybe you haven’t interviewed in a long time and you aren’t really sure what to expect. Maybe you have something in your background that worries you (nearly all of us do!) because you aren’t sure how to explain it to the interviewer. Maybe you could use some help developing a strategy for answering questions or want to do a better job of explaining your qualifications and accomplishments.
Is it possible that you could benefit from some coaching and training that will give you an interview advantage?
- No matter how well you interview, it’s not what you do professionally. You probably prepare for interviews a few times in your life. No matter how often you practice, you are not going to be as skilled as someone who has coached dozens, if not hundreds, of individuals how to interview.
- Most effective interview coaches have years of HR, headhunting, recruiting, or employment services experience behind him/her during which he/she has encountered a multitude of situations been exposed to countless interview questions.
- An interview coach can prepare you for a variety of interview scenarios by taking you through multiple types of interviews. For example, are you ready for a behavioral interview? A Skype video interview? A telephone interview? A panel interview? No?! Don’t worry, your coach will help.
- Your coach has likely accumulated a great deal of experience in dealing with various companies and different industries. If you’re lucky, your coach may even have done some work for the company with whom you’re interviewing. But even if they haven’t, they have the broad knowledge and expertise to help you.
- A successful interview coach will provide a no-holds-barred, honest critique your personal style. He or she will assess how you present yourself in terms of demeanor, personality, and verbal and nonverbal communication. Perhaps you have a nervous tick such as clenching and unclenching a fist repeatedly. Does your voice tend to rise when you’re nervous? Do you repeatedly use “like” and “um” when you’re formulating an answer to a question? If you’re like most people, you probably haven’t even noticed these things about yourself, nor are you liable to be mindful of them even after they’ve been pointed out. You can be sure, however, that your interviewer will notice them and, if they occur frequently, will likely be distracted by them.Once that happens, your suitability for the job becomes secondary because you’ve given the interviewer something to focus on besides how great you are for the job.An interview coach will help you iron out the wrinkles in how you present yourself. You’ll not only appear more polished, you’ll feel that way too.
- Style. If you need the guidance, an interview coach will help you make appropriate wardrobe choices for each interview, thereby ensuring that your appearance is suited for the position you’re seeking. Dress for success may be a cliche, but that doesn’t make it any less true.
- Troublesome questions. There are certain questions that come up during the course of an interview that have a tendency to make people uncomfortable. You can diminish the discomfort by assuming those questions are going to be asked and practicing your responses to them. For example, “tell me about your weaknesses” or “what are your salary expectations”?
- If the industry or position possesses technical aspects, work with your coach to prepare a list of questions beforehand to demonstrate the depth of your knowledge and your level of interest.
In short, preparing for an interview with a coach helps you be at your absolute best when you need to be. And that’s definitely an interview advantage.
May we be of assistance to you, providing you with the interview coaching you need to shine in your next interview and turn that interview into a job offer? Our online booking system makes it easy for you to schedule appointments for interview coaching, laser job search coaching (covering any and ALL job search issues), LinkedIn for job searching coaching, and career design coaching. Just click through and book your appointment today.